Landscape Architecture Magazine is the monthly magazine of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA). Since 1910, the magazine has served as the voice of the landscape architecture profession. The magazine’s purview encompasses landscape design, land use, and environmental and ecological concerns at all scales, including gardens, parks, streets, urban development, brownfields, watersheds, and regional and global issues, not least climate change.
We are seeking a versatile staff writer/editor for its print magazine and website to cover landscape architecture, environmental and urban affairs, design practice and technology, among other areas. The ideal candidate will be a sharp, fast writer and reporter with a natural ear for news and emerging developments, a perceptive and constructive editor, and an omnivorous but skeptical consumer of design and culture.
The job duties include:
- Regularly developing your own stories, both short and fast and longer stories, for the magazine and its blog.
- Cultivating story ideas for the magazine’s departments and feature well.
- Assigning stories to outside writers and managing their work on deadline.
- Substantive editing of outside writers’ stories.
- Researching, assigning, and gathering photography and graphics with an eye for vitality in presentation.
- Shaping the tone of stories and display copy with a distinctive voice.
- Aiding with basic page layout.
- The ability to work quickly, accurately, and independently on a tight deadline as part of a small staff.
- Excellent grammar, usage, and copy skills.
The ideal candidate will show:
- Excellent reporting, fast writing, and oral communication skills.
- A passion for landscape architecture, and a working knowledge of the design and construction industry in general.
- An innate sense of great design.
- A strong sense of enterprise in spotting and developing stories.
Education: B.A. in English, journalism, communication, or related field; degree or coursework in landscape architecture, horticulture, or environmental design issues a plus.
Skills: Proficiency in written, verbal, and interpersonal communication. Excellent organizational skills, good judgment, and attention to detail. Ability to balance heavy workload with short- and long-term project deadlines, address changing priorities, and work well under pressure. Experience with basic magazine layout, blogging, knowledge of InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
Experience: Minimum three years’ experience in writing for publication; knowledge of landscape architecture, design, planning, and/or environmental issues.
Apply to: HR@asla.org
Please send your résumé, along with 3 writing samples, and salary requirement (negotiable will not be accepted). All of the items must be received in order to be considered.
This is an in-house, staff position located in the Chinatown section of downtown Washington, D.C. No phone calls or agency referrals, please.
No relocation benefits or remote working are offered.